Big projects still in the DFW construction pipeline, with no signs of slowing
Toyota North America delivering its long-awaited corporate campus in Plano's Legacy West could seemingly slow the amount of construction in North Texas.
But those on the ground in the region still see big projects looming on the horizon.
"I think cranes will still be flying for a while," Neal Sleeper, president of Dallas-based Cityplace Co., told the Dallas Business Journal. "I think construction will be hot and heavy for the next two to three years."
Cityplace Co., along with Cleveland-based Forest City Realty Trust Inc. (NYSE: FCEA and FCEB), is nearing completion on a long-awaited boutique hotel and high-rise luxury tower within the West Village.
Sleeper said he expects the development group to get a temporary certificate-of-occupancy in December, with the hotel slated to open in early 2018. Show Full Story
And Sleeper and his West Village team won't wait long to begin their next big project in the area.
"We're doing some preliminary work on the Mutts site," he said. "It will definitely be a combination of office, multifamily, retail, or maybe a hotel. It will be a mix of uses like the rest of the West Village, but maybe a little taller or a little denser — but this is at least a year off into the horizon."
Meanwhile, Manhattan Construction Co. Senior Vice President Mark Penny said he isn't seeing any signs of construction slowing in the future.
"We are seeing delays in construction, with projects being slower to start and slower to get through to the finish line, but nothing is stopping," Penny said. "Nobody sees any signs it will slow."
We took a look at some of the largest North Texas construction projects in the pipeline, according to Dodge Data & Analytics' latest research. Check out the attached slideshow for details.
1. Globe Life Field will have a retractable roof to help give the Texas Rangers a climate-controlled place for games and events - Value: $1.1 billion - City: Arlington - Start Date: Sept. 2017
2. The J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.'s new regional Dallas-Fort Worth campus will have multiple buildings at Legacy West in Plano. - Value: $300 million - City: Plano - Start Date: Aug. 2016
3. Facebook's $1 billion data center campus in AllianceTexas has been completed. The new phase of the project is underway. - Value: $300 million - City: Fort Worth - Start Date: April 2017
PELLI CLARKE PELLI ARCHITECTS
4. Upon completion, the American Airlines complex will sit on 300 acres in Fort Worth. - Value: $300 million - City: Fort Worth - Start Date: April 2017
5. The Union Dallas is a mixed-use development under construction in the city's urban core next to the American Airlines Center. - Value: $223.20 (only includes apartments and office) - City: Dallas - Start Date: July 2016
DARYL SHIELDS HKS INC.
6. The Park District is a mixed-use development adjacent to Kyle Warren Park, which, upon completion, will include PwC Tower and luxury apartment building. - Value: $220.5 million (apartments and office only) - City: Dallas - Start Date: Jan. 2016
7. The 10th floor of the Drever will include a bar and terrace for visitors and residents in downtown Dallas. The long-time vacant building is in the midst of conversion at 1401 Elm St. in Dallas. - Value: $210 million (luxury apartments and hotel only). - City: Dallas - Start Date: Oct. 2016
8. The new 45-story AMLI residential tower in downtown Dallas will sit next to Fountain Place. It will bring 367 apartments to the CBD. - Value: $150 million - City: Dallas - Start Date: Sept. 2017
9. The three-building Dallas County Record complex is being redeveloped with the help of Gensler. - Valure: $138 million - City: Dallas - Start Date: March 2017
10. Texas Live! will include 200,000 square feet of dining and entertainment options. It will surround the new Globe Life Field ballpark and the existing stadium. -Value: $135 million (convention center, hotel, and retail portion only) - City: Artlington - Start Date: Oct. 2016
11. The Modera Hall Street luxury apartment community will bring 340 apartment homes to Hall Street on the east side of North Central Expressway in Dallas. - Value: $115.5 million - City: Dallas - Start Date: May 2016
12. The 12-story convention center hotel will sit next to the Irving Convention Center upon its completion. - Value: $115 million (although the city has previously reported the project will cost $113 million) - City: Irving - Start Date: April 2017
13. The new corporate campus for Irving - based Pioneer Natural Resources will help kick off a larger development, called Hidden Ridge, in Irving. - Value: $115 million - City: Irving - Start Date: July 2017
14. The Residences at Legacy will bring a 25-story residential tower to Plano's Legacy corridor, with 300 luxury apartments on the books. GFF is the project architect. - Value: $112 million - City: Plano - Start Date: Feb. 2017
15. The Epic mixed-use development in Deep Ellum, upon completion, will be visible from the highway. It includes the historic development of a long-time vacant building in the neighborhood. - Value: $111.2 million - City: Dallas - Start Date: April 2014
16. The $165 million Preston Hollow Village apartment community with ground-floor retail will bring three different living options in North Texas at the mixed-use development. - Value: $101.4 million - City: Dallas - Start Date: Feb. 2016
17. The LVL 29 tower in Legacy West will bring aspirational living, and 328 luxury, market-rate apartments to Plano's Legacy West development. - Value: $100.1 million - City: Plano - Start Date: May 2017
18. The initial phase of Charles Schwab's new Westlake campus is underway. By early 2019, the financial services firm plans to move up to 2,600 employees into this part of the project. - Value: $100 million (initial phase only) - City: Westlake - Start Date: Sept. 2017
19. The ground-up development on the city block adjacent to Trammel Crow Center will include a 400-unit residential tower and a 200-room boutique hotel with parking and about 26,000 square feet of retail space. - Value: $91 million (hotel only) - City: Dallas - Start Date: Aug. 2017
20. The 44 luxury homes will range from 1,600 square feet to a full, two-floor penthouse measuring 10,000 square feet. The condo tower will also have an adjacent boutique hotel. - Value: $87.8 million (residential portion only) - City: Dallas - Start Date: Aug. 2017
21. Dallas developer Craig Hall is in the midst of adding another office building to Hall Park in Frisco. - Value: $87.5 million - City: Frisco - Start Date: Oct. 2016
22. Fannie Mae employees will move into a building in 2018 at Granite Park that is similar to this one. - Value: $76.5 million - City: Plano - Start Date: July 2017
23. The Ventana by Buckner senior retirement community high-rise will sit along Northwest Highway near North Park Center in Dallas. - Value: $75 million - City: Dallas - Start Date: June 2017
24. An Amazon.com fulfillment center like this one is underway in Coppell. - Value: $75 million - City: Coppell - Start Date: Jan. 2017
25. The AmerisourceBergen Specialty Group's divisional headquarters will have a campus-style hub in The Offices at Austin Ranch in Carrollton. - Value: $75 million - City: Carrollton - Start Date: April 2017
26. The new West Village hotel and apartment tower - which includes a nine-story 150-room hotel and a 24-story, 389-apartment tower - will bring a new addition to the Dallas shopping destination. Value: $73.5 million - City: Dallas - Start Date: April 2016
GAYLORD TEXAN RESORT
27. The Gaylord Texan Resort is expanding its operations in Grapevine to accommodate a growing business. - Value: $72.7 million (expansion only) - City: Grapevine - Start Date: Sept. 2016
28. The 25-story Frost Tower in downtown Fort Worth is underway, with delivery expected by the end of the year. - Value: $70.7 million - City: Fort Worth - Start Date: March 2016
29. The $91 million convention center hotel is underway in Allen and will bring much-needed meeting space to this North Texas city. - Value: $70.2 million (hotel portion only) - City: Allen - Start Date: May 2017
30. A California-based development firm is underway on converting the former 85-acre Spring Creek campus for Texas Instrument into a corporate magnet at Legacy Drive and North Central Expressway. - Value: $70 million - City: Plano - Start Date: Oct. 2016